The Saturday afternoon edition of the Hamilton Spectator on February 26, 1876 was a little light on interesting news. A lengthy, and quite dry, account of the previous year’s activities of the Mechanics’ Institute dominated the page 4 area of the 4 page newspaper where items of local interest were usually located.
Full details of that Saturday’s Market were laid out for Spectator readers :
“The markets were pretty well attended this morning. A large quantity of produce was offered for sale and changed hands. A very large quantity of veal was brought in which was sold very rapidly. The price per pound was 5 cents. Beef was not plenty and was tough, and mutton was scarce and of good quality. Pork was well-represented, and was principally of the large breed, and no chickens were offered for sale. Butter remains strong, turnip and dear, although some good lots were to be found. Potatoes are offered freely, and apples bring a good price.”
An area of James street north was enlivened by an accident :
“ A runaway took place down James street today which caused considerable excitement and might have proved fatal in its consequences. A farmer’s team took fright and ran away, between Mulberry and Robert streets, dashing into Dr. Mullin’s rig, which was smashed to pieces, and dashed into the sidewalk. No person was hurt, but all the horses were cut and bruised more or less.”
The Hamilton Board of Health published an early warning of the provisions of a By-Law concerning the requirements of city property-holders to make a thorough spring clean-up of the yards:
Public Notice : Board of Health
Citizens are hereby notified to be in compliance with the provisions of By-Law No. 61, relating to the Public Health of the City of Hamilton, to remove from their premises all filth or other material dangerous to the public health and to cleanse all cesspools and privy vaults before the 20th of April, or in default the Board of Health may cause the same to be done, and the costs and expenses thereof charged, in addition to any penalties imposed by the said By-Law.
A book is kept at Mr. McCracken’s residence beside the King William Street Police Station for the purpose of entering complaints of any instance injurious to the public health.
Competent persons willing to remove subsoil can be obtained at a reasonable rate by applying to Mr. McCracken.
Signed, T. Crooker, M. D.,
Chairman, Board of Health.
Hamilton, Feb. 21, 1876
Finally, the newly-completed transformation of Christ’s Church on James street north into the much enlarged Christ’s Church Cathedral was a location to many in the community, whether members of the Anglican faith or not. To accommodate that interest, the leaders of the Cathedral asked the local press to inform the public as to the times and preachers scheduled for the following day.
It was an opportunity for the general public to see for themselves the splendid interior of the grand edifice.
Also noted that all pews would be generally available, rather than the usual practice in which only those who had rented the pews could be seated in them:
“The services in the Cathedral tomorrow, we are requested to say, will be as follows : Morning service at 11 o’clock, the Lord Bishop of Toronto will preach. Afternoon at 3 o’clock, The Lord Bishop of Niagara, and at evening service, The Dean of the Cathedral. The seats tomorrow will be free and open to the public, and special collections will be made in aid of the building fund.”